Skip to content

When Does Mom Get To Rest?

So, I am actually still alive.  You wouldn’t know it from my presence online the last few days, but I’m still kickin’.  Life sometimes has a way of taking over and unfortunately, that has been happening a lot lately.  I’m going to do another quick update and then hopefully get back to some regular writing.

Saturday we decided to take Zach’s pacifier away.  I’m so tired of seeing in his mouth and listening to him try to talk around it that I decided it was time.  We didn’t let him have it all day until he had a major meltdown while I tried to take a shower around 5:00 pm.  Daddy finally caved and let him have it, but we cut the tip off of it.  Zach wasn’t sure what to think of that, but it did settle him down.

Shortly after Zach settled down, Grandma arrived to hang out with him for the evening.  Hubby and I actually went out by ourselves for dinner and a movie.  It was nice to get away and have some time to ourselves, but Grandma called just before we headed into the movie to say that Zach was running a fever.  From that point on, I felt a little guilty because I thought he was just being really cranky all day, when really he was sick.

Zach’s fever continued through the rest of the weekend, spiking up to 103 on Sunday, which meant no day care on Monday.  I called my boss to let him know, and set up a doctor’s appointment Monday morning.  The doctor couldn’t really find anything wrong with him, other than one ear that was a little red and swollen inside and the cough that he’s had for nearly a week.  She started him on some antibiotics to keep the ear from getting worse.   The fever stayed up through bed time on Monday, which meant no day care again on Tuesday.

Fortunately, Zach’s fever was gone Tuesday morning, so I packed him up and took him to work with me.  I kept him there as long as I could, but when he started getting really restless we headed home.  My office was trashed, but I had gotten the most necessary things done, so I just closed the door and left.

Wednesday Zach finally went back to day care, although he wasn’t very happy about it.  I barely got him dropped off in time to get to my own doctor’s appointment.  I had an early appointment, which usually means I don’t have to wait long, but this time I had to wait.  At least I remembered to bring a book with me so the wait wasn’t really that bad.  It was a quick check-up this time (feel for the uterus, check the heartbeat).  My Doc had a hard time finding the heartbeat though.  Apparently this one likes to squirm around.  The baby kept moving around and wouldn’t hold still long enough to get a good heartbeat reading.  Just as she was about ready to send me in for a quick ultrasound, squirmy finally decided to hold still and she got a count of 156.

When I finally got to work, I had a mess and a ton of work waiting for me.  I did what I could, but I still have a lot of catching up to do.  The last few days have really worn me out.

On the way home, I called Hubby and told him we were going out to eat.  I knew there was already a sink full of dirty dishes and that we were in desperate need of a grocery store run so I decided to just make things easy.  I picked Zach up from day care, picked hubby up at the house and we headed out.  As we were pulling into a parking spot at the restaurant, we looked up to see our friends’ car right in front of us.  They were on their way to go eat, had spotted us and followed us to the restaurant.  They joined us for dinner, which was nice as we hadn’t seen them for a few weeks.  After catching up and eating way too much food, we headed home.

Zach had his bath, watched Blue’s Clues, and is tucked away in bed.  My house is a mess.  There are toys and books everywhere, but I just don’t care right now.  I’m ready to watch some TV and relax for a while before I have to start all over again tomorrow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Published inLiving the Life

Be First to Comment

  1. poor tired mama. i hope you get a chance to rest up soon, and that all your chores magically finish themselves. 🙂

  2. boy, do i hear you on this one. and i don’t even have a rugrat to chase around. but with 6 weeks left in my pregnancy, i’m just plain tired. and way too busy trying to wrap up work within the next month. hope you get some rest.

Comments are closed.