Skip to content


My boss and I pulled into the parking lot at the same time this morning.  As we got out of our cars, he asked me how my weekend was.

“Good,” I replied.

And it was good, just not great.  I was moody.  Hubby was moody.  The kids were a little crazy, which didn’t help out the moodiness of the adults.  One thing just added onto another and by Sunday morning Hubby and I were having it out.  It was inevitable I suppose.  I felt it coming on all week.

All week long I felt the pressure building.  Our weekly schedule is a little out of whack with Zach in swimming lessons.  I was extra stressed at work trying to get my computer back up and running after replacing the hard drive.  Hubby seemed a little more cranky than usual (though I suppose it could have just been me).  Zach was more difficult than usual.  Evie’s shrieks seemed to grate on my nerves more than usual.  Money was tight as we waited for pay day to come on Friday.  And I threw a new diet and exercise (ha!) routine in on top of all that.

Friday night Hubby started on-call for work and got called out just as I was getting home with the kids.  We agreed to meet up for dinner after he finished his job, but by the time we all got there it was nearly 7:00.  The kids were totally out of hand (because they were hungry!) and my stress level was crazy high trying to deal with them.  Once we finally got food they settled down.  I had promised the kids we’d go swimming at Grandma’s since I needed to pick up some tables from her house so we headed over there next.  We ended up leaving Zach to spend the night at Grandma’s with his cousins and headed home where I still needed to prepare for the garage sale I planned on having Saturday.

I ended up staying up until around 2:30 trying to get stuff ready for the garage sale.  I didn’t sleep well at all, and then got up at 7:00 to shower and get ready for the sale.  Apparently Saturday was just not the day for garage sales in my neighborhood.  It was slow as heck and while I did get rid of quite a few things, I had a lot more I wanted to get rid of.  I also lowered a lot of prices just to sell stuff and ended up only making $61.  When it started raining at 3:00, I was actually glad that I had an excuse to fold up early.  We piled everything in the house and I sat down in my comfy chair where I promptly fell asleep and dozed off and on for the next 2 hours or so.  I finally forced myself up, but only because my kids needed dinner.  I don’t even really remember the rest of the evening, except for the fact that I went to bed early.

I was hoping to set up the sale again for a few hours on Sunday, but when I woke up to thunder and the sound of rain hitting the roof, I knew that was out of the question.  Instead, I intended to spend the day cleaning.  The kids and I started the morning out slow, with cartoons and pop tarts in the living room.  I had warned Zach that as soon as his show ended we would go start cleaning up the play room.  With about 5 minutes left of his show, Hubby started telling Zach he needed to go start cleaning.  Zach and I both bot irritated by that since I had already told him he could finish his show, and things just escalated from there.

Hubby and I spent the rest of the morning irritated with each other, mainly because we had different agendas for the day.  We both pretty much had the same goals (except mine involved a little more work) just a different way of getting to them.  Instead of communicating, we were just griping.  But, eventually we got (almost) everything done anyway.

After Evie woke up from her nap, I got the kids dressed and headed out to do some shopping.  Both kids have outgrown their shoes (again!!!) so we hit up Payless first for some BOGO deals.  I also had a 20% off coupon, which ended up getting us four pairs of shoes for $52, which was a pretty great deal (and Zach passed up the Cars shoes for some nice looking tennis shoes, which made it even better!).

Next we headed to Target for a few groceries to get us through the week and to let Evie pick out bedding for her new “big girl” bed.  She’s been wanting to sleep in the bottom bunk bed for the last week or so, so I figured it’s time to make it hers.  Target had some really cute (generic, non-Disney) bedding sets on clearance, but Evie was having none of that.  We ended up with a comforter, sheets, and a throw pillow all in pink Disney Princesses (or “cin-cess”, as Evie says).

By the time we got home, had dinner, and got the kids settled and into bed, I was spent.  I will admit that the little bit of retail therapy did help my mood, but I was exhausted.  Just as Hubby and I were settling in to watch True Blood, I realized I still needed to fill out the preschool forms that I had set out earlier in the weekend.  Instead of sitting back relaxing, I filled out a million forms, repeating the same info over and over again (seriously, can’t they just pull it all from one dang form?).

This morning, I woke up feeling like I hadn’t slept at all.  I’m still tired and a bit cranky.  It’s still rainy and cruddy outside.  And even though it seems like I had a bad weekend, it was good.  Between all the cruddy, cranky, gripey, grumpiness going on, I still got to spend it with my three favorite people in the whole world.  I still got lots of hugs, kisses, and zerberts.  I still got to see my daughter’s face light up when she hugged her “cin-cess” pillow.  I still got to listen to my son’s silly stories before I tucked him into bed for the night.  I still got to snuggle up in bed with my Hubby after a long day.  It was good.  Maybe it was better than good.  Maybe it was great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Published inLiving the Life