Skip to content

Waiting for the Next Ball to Drop

It’s nearly 10:00 on a Wednesday night and I’m sitting here contemplating whether I should blog or just go to bed.  Obviously the blogging is winning out, although the burning in my eyes suggests I should be in bed instead.  The last few days have been quite tiring and I’m not really sure when or if I’m ever going to feel truly rested again.

The weekend started out in a cleaning frenzy.  With my in-laws arriving Tuesday and my lack of ability to do any physical activity for more than about 10 minutes at a time, I knew I had my work cut out for me.  Fortunately Hubby was very helpful and my mom even ended up coming over and pitching in a bit.

Saturday afternoon, a good friend of mine had a baby shower for me over at my mom’s house.  Hubby and Zach ended up coming along since there were going to be some other kids there.  Shortly after we arrived at my mom’s house (and just before people started showing up) I realized Zach was running a fever.  His nose had been running the night before but I didn’t think anything of it until the fever started up.  Luckily my mom had some Tylenol at her house and that helped knock the fever down a bit.

The shower was nice.  I ended up getting several things that I needed and wanted, as well as some other really cute things that I didn’t expect at all.  Plus, I got to eat some yummy food and cake!  All in all, it was a good time.

After the shower I was exhausted, but there was still cleaning to do.  My mom came over to the house to help me out for a while.  Zach fell asleep on the way home and was pretty much out for the rest of the night.  His fever kept creeping higher in between doses of Tylenol and Motrin.   The poor kid was just miserable.

Sunday morning we woke up to what they said was going to be our worst snow so far this year.  My mom, who absolutely hates driving in snow, called saying she was on her way over.  I had asked her to come over to keep Zach while Hubby and I went to church because we had a couples baby shower being thrown for us and another couple from our church that afternoon.  Even though the snowfall wasn’t really that bad, the roads were terrible.  Had it not been for the baby shower, we wouldn’t have ventured out at all and I certainly wouldn’t have asked my mom to drive in it.

By the time church and the baby shower were over, the snow had pretty much melted away.  The roads were clear and it was nice and sunny outside.  We got home to find Zach snuggled up with Grandma and his fever up to 103 degrees.  Another dose of Motrin knocked it down for a while, but I went ahead and called my boss to let him know I wouldn’t be at work Monday.

Monday was spent snuggling with Zach, doing some last minute cleaning, and taking Zach to the doctor.  They tested him for strep, checked his ears for infection, asked a million questions, and finally decided that he just has a virus that has to run its course.  By that time his fever had broken and he was acting a million times better so I was feeling a little foolish for taking him to the doctor.  I was ready to send him back to school on Tuesday, but his fever decided to spike back up that evening.  I was supposed to be picking my in-laws up at noon on Tuesday, so I made another call to my boss and we agreed that I should just stay home with Zach until after the in-laws got here.

Tuesday morning I woke up around 5:00 with terrible cramping in my stomach.  My first thought was that I was having contractions, but I quickly realized that was not the case.  Not sure whether I was going to throw up or not, I forced myself out of bed and into the bathroom.  I spent a very unpleasant hour in the bathroom before informing Hubby that there needed to be a change of plans for the day.  There was no way I was driving to the airport to get his parents so he was going to have to leave work early to go get them.

Instead of getting back in bed, me and my germs went and crashed on the futon for a couple of hours.  At some point Hubby left for work.  Then I awoke to Zach crying when he realized no one was in bed with him anymore (he ended up sleeping in our bed and woke up to find mommy and daddy both gone).  Once I got him calmed down a bit, we made a big bed out of the futon, watched movies, and spent the day laying around until Hubby got back to the house with his parents.

I felt like a pretty terrible hostess, but tried to perk up a bit once they were here.  We visited for a while, then had dinner.  While I was trying to force down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Zach climbed up on my lap and snuggled up.  I could tell he wasn’t feeling well and a few seconds later I was covered in puke.  It was a great ending to a lovely day.

Zach was still running a fever this morning so he stayed with Granny and Papa while I attempted to go to work.  I was feeling much better, but very worn down.  I must not have looked very good because my boss told me to go home early if I needed to.  I ended up staying until around 3:00 and left at that point because I wasn’t really doing much good being there.  I had no energy left and my head was killing me from looking at the computer screen.

Shortly after I got home, I got a text message from my friend (the other recipient of the joint baby shower) saying that she had her baby.  She wasn’t due until March 7th, so it was quite a surprise.  Mom, Dad, and baby are all doing fine.  I’m dying to go visit but until we make sure we’re rid of the germs around here I’ll have to stay away.

The rest of my evening was actually rather relaxing and now that I’ve wrapped this up, I’m ready to get to bed and get some sleep.  Everyone else has turned in for the night but I can still hear Zach coughing in the back of the house.  I just wish there was something I could do to make him feel better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Published inKids & ParentingPregnancy #2

Be First to Comment

  1. As I’m reading blogs lately, it seems like half the bloggers are sick. Take care of yourself.

    I remember how I hated my kids being sick. It’s just so worrisome, and you always want to do more for them and wonder if you are doing enough, or doing the right things.

Comments are closed.